Critic's Corner

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Get Shorty & Animal House

Last night, we watched Get Shorty and Animal House.

Get Shorty was really a cute movie. I haven't seen it in a very long time. John Travolta was funny, and for once, he didn't dance, which was a nice change. Gene Hackman, Delroy Lindo, and Danny Devito gave good performances; Dennis Farina was very funny, as was a heavily bearded James Gandolfini. The Bette Midler character wasn't as funny as she could have been. And at the risk of sounding shallow- I completely LOVE Renee Russo's hair in this movie. (I like her anyway... she just needs to stay far away from any movie with Costner, as does any fairly decent actor.) I can understand why people would put this movie at the top of their list, if they are not open to the Independant film experience, or if they haven't seen a whole lot of movies. I can name at least 50 movies that are better, and at least 50 that are worse.

Animal House is a completely hilarious movie. Kevin Bacon, Tim Matheson ("I'm your fella, Annabella!"), Tom Hulce, Karen Allen, John Belushi, and a young lady who remarkably resembles a blonde Julianne Moore, but after a closer look, is not. I'm sure everyone has seen it, but John Belushi is just priceless in this movie. His facial expressions...they are just too funny! I feel sorry for lunchladies in the late 70's/early 80's- there must have been countless food fights.
That reminds me of a funny (yet disgusting) story. We had an enormous mural of a Tiger in the Senior Cafeteria at my high school. Every day, we would sit by this enormous tiger and look at it. One day, we noticed that someone had thrown their baked beans up against the wall and they blended perfectly with the color of the tiger. So we would check every day to see if maintenance had noticed the beans and cleaned them off- but they never did. I graduated High School in June of 1990. After High School, I joined the Army and was enlisted for 3 years. In November of 1993, I once again found myself wandering the halls of my High School, feeling nostalgic, and decided to take a walk to the cafeteria. Sure enough, there was the tiger- with the baked beans still splattered on its face. Three and a half years later.

...I wonder if they're still there now.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Vickie, at 8:49 AM  

  • ARGH! I can't believe I deleted my comment! It was an accident! I swear! Note to self: don't click on the column looking thing.
    Anyway...
    I highly recommend Animal House: Double Secret Probation Edition. This version is digitally remastered and widescreen, for superb sound and picture quality. The menus are funny and easy to navigate. The bonus material is skimpy, but including more would have driven up the price, so it's a minor quibble. But..why include the MXPX video for "Shout?" They can't top Otis Day no matter how much they try. But on to the good. You can choose to watch Animal House "Pop Up Video" style by choosing "Did You Know That." Throughout the film, animated blurbs pop up, giving you bits of info about the film's production. The best bonus is "Where Are They Now: A Delta Alumni Update." It's fall down funny and a perfect compliment to the film. I did get a little misty watching the doc, because John Belushi is no longer here. *sniff*
    Quibbles aside, it's a wonderful presentation of one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. If you love this movie, you must have this DVD. You will get hours of enjoyment.
    I'm watching/listening right now!

    By Blogger Vickie, at 9:05 AM  

  • Vicki-
    I do have the special edition. I just haven't looked at all of the special features. Thanks for the tip.

    Here's your original comment- and it's not a column thingie! It's a trash can!!! LOL

    I have to recommend Animal House:Double Secret Probation Edition. It's widescreen,and digitally remastered for superb picture and sound quality.
    The bonus material is good, but I could do without MXPX's video of "Shout." The best of the bonuses is "Where Are They Now: A Delta Alumni Update." It's fall down funny, but I did feel a little misty because John Belushi is no longer with us to participate. There is also a bonus titled "Did You Know That," in which you can choose to watch the film with animated boxes that pop up, giving you bits of info about the production. The menus are funny and easy to navigate. The only complaint I have about this DVD is that you can't skip over the ads for other films that appear at the beginning of the DVD. But that's a minor quibble.
    I picked up this DVD for about $14 at Target, so it's inexpensive. I wish there were more bonus material, but including more material would have driven up the price.
    I prefer my DVDs affordable, so the lack of more bonuses is also a minor quibble. I can't recommend this edition highly enough, so go rent it, or better yet, buy it. You will get hours of enjoyment.

    By Blogger Susan, at 11:07 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Persona, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home