Critic's Corner

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Batman Begins

Maybe I'm getting too old. I'm the ripe age of 32 and I'm already falling asleep at the movies.

So many people have raved about how wonderful this film is. I just don't see it. Granted, when I walked in, I had my skeptical views about whether or not Batman would be worth it- but it was either watch this movie or watch Mr and Mrs Smith- and I'd sooner sit in a theater like Alex de Large (A Clockwork Orange) than watch something with a post-Girl-Interrupted Angelina Jolie.

Which poses a very good question: Who wins the title for most annoying? Angelina Jolie with her fake british accent? or Dawson's Katie Holmes? Or ANYONE from Dawson's Creek, for that matter? Tough competition.

Katie Holmes put up quite a fight for the title in this film. Little miss goody-goody passing judgement on Bruce Wayne walking out of the hotel with the 2 models... It's just such a typical role for her. Little virginal Katie, the big hero coming to her rescue, etc.

Maybe SHE was the one who ruined the movie for me. My annoyance with her probably started after I watched Dawson's once and within 2 minutes of turning it on, she was using words like "antithesis" and "absconded". Impressive that tv writers know how to use the F7 key, but not really believable that a 15 year old would use words like these in an every day sentence.

Anyway- back to the movie- The film itself had really loud SFX to the point where I actually had to put my finger in my ear. (And yet with my other ear, I could hear the people behind me saying "Look! She's got her finger in her ear! hahaha.") Well I'm sorry! It was TOO DAMNED LOUD. It was so loud that the sound was more annoying than the CGI's (and we ALL know how much I despise THOSE.)

The story itself was just okay. It wasn't anything I would get in a twist over. So they tied in a few things that would have been cheating the audience had they not. Big deal. That's like rewarding someone for doing something they're supposed to do. (What? You want a cookie? Chris Rock)

Overall, the movie was just meh and I may have given it more of a chance if they hadn't cast Holmes in the first place.

3 Comments:

  • I support my kids.

    I haven't seen the movie yet, although I really want to. Placing Katie Holmes in the same role she plays in everything doesn't really SOUND like such a bad idea for a comic book movie. I suppose I'll have to judge for myself though, old woman.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:17 AM  

  • I agree about the movie being 'meh'. Maybe I have to be a teenage boy to entertained by this though. It did provide me with a few laughs, such as when Katie slapped Christian Bale in the car scene. Yet, the laugh provided by SpiderMan2's James Franco to Toby Maguire was much better. (Guys shouldn't slap other guys in movies-it's just laughable! Punch, spit, kick....but don't bitch-slap unless the scene is intentionally meant to be funny)

    The only reason I'd see this movie again is to see Cillian Murphy...but if I wanted that, I'd just bust out my 28 Days Later DVD, wouldn't I?....In fact I just might.

    By Blogger ..., at 12:32 PM  

  • Batman, Splatman. I'm saving my money for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and for Murderball.
    And...it's all pink here now. I like. It's cuter than a zoo full of pandas.

    By Blogger Vickie, at 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home