Critic's Corner

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A Myriad of Movies

Just a quick overview of a few movies for all of you, with 5 *’s being the highest:

Bobby **1/2 - Not horrible. Not amazing. The cast was pretty impressive, and I guess if I remembered that day, I may have appreciated this film a bit more. It is one of Sharon Stone’s best performances, albeit a small role. Just a pretty good movie.

Derailed ****- Unbelievable. I loved this movie. It was suspenseful, edge of your seat, something new around every corner. Although I have to say I wasn’t totally blown away with the reveal, it was still very well done. I liked this film so much that I immediately started reading the book when it was over. Great movie.

The Good Shepherd *1/2 - Meh. Matt Damon aside, this character was just a two-dimensional character that didn’t warrant a whole lot of sympathy, which is what I believe the producers wanted us to give. It was really nothing special, just like Angelina Jolie. It was a decent movie, but I don’t see myself watching it again.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix **** - Woo hoo!!! I LOVE Harry Potter, and this film was NO exception. Awesome effects, great plot, true to the books… everything Harry Potter never fails to impress.

Little Children ***1/2- I wasn’t totally sold on this movie when I first saw it but it gets under your skin and you can’t stop thinking about it. It was a really good movie and I was very impressed with Kate Winslet’s ability to shed the British accent. This is definitely worth the rental.

The Woodsman **1/2 - Interesting movie with a very interesting premise. My friend’s husband said “It’s not often that you see a movie where the protagonist is a pedophile.” Indeed. It was a good movie. If you can get over the creepy crawly feeling of watching this pedophile, it’s worth the rental. Still, I think I’d rather see “Little Children” again.

Once Upon a Time in the West ***1/2- An AFI Top 100 New Addition. This was a very good movie once I got everyone straight in my head. There were a lot of people in the film that at first I couldn’t tell apart, but after watching the film for a bit, I started to understand it. It was a very good movie.

The Last Picture Show ***1/2- This is another one of the AFI new additions. It was also very good. I’m sure that had I been watching it from a student’s point of view, I would have more to say about it. But it was a good movie that I would see again.

Dark Water ***- This movie was pretty good. It was interesting enough to keep my attention, and it is not the worst film I’ve ever seen. Pete Postlethwaite was appropriately creepy, and it had an air of “The Ring” about it, but not as frightening. But it was a pretty good movie.

Next time I will talk about the Bourne Trilogy. I have to get out to see Ultimatum and I’ll get back to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home