Critic's Corner

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Sin City

Last night we went to see this movie and all that I can say is I want to see it again and again.

Ever the cinematic pessimist, especially when it comes to comic-book movies, I have been convinced that only when Tarantino has a hand in the production of a comic book movie does the idea turn to cinematic gold.

Take for example: Spiderman. As many people know, I was not the least bit impressed by this CGI riddled piece of crap. I didn't bother seeing XMen or Hellboy... they just hold no allure for me at all.

Then in walks good ol' Quentin with his movies about The Bride. All of a sudden, I'm sucked in. Kill Bill (both Vol 1 and 2) are excellent films, and as soon as I saw them, my faith that comic book movies don't need to be cheesy OR campy was born. Frank Miller's Sin City has lived up to (and quite possibly exceeded) this expectation.

This star studded cast includes Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Brittany Murphy, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Nick Stahl, Jaime King, Benicio DelToro, Michael Clarke Duncan, Carla Gugino, Elijah Wood, Josh Hartnett (whose part I didn't get to see, because we were 5 minutes late), Michael Madsen, and a small but quite comical role by former Boston Public alumni Nicky Katt.

A few notes about the actors:
*I have never seen Mickey Rourke in such a funny crazy role. He did an absolutely superb job and I was very very impressed. Prior to seeing this film, the best film I had ever seen him in was Spun, which was not a fantastic film, but his part was very well done. He was fantastic as Marv in this film.
*Jaime King- Isn't her name really James King? I thought I remember seeing that in that piece of crap Pearl Harbor...
*Nick Stahl- He disgusted me with every fiber of his character. Rightly so, also. It was meant to be that way.
*Elijah Wood- He doesn't have a single line in this movie. Still, his character freaked me out beyond belief.

See some VERY interesting Sin City Trivia here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/trivia
Including the fact that Sin City Director Robert Rodriguez scored Tarantino's Kill Bill for the whopping price of $1.00. To return the favor to Rodriguez, Tarantino directed the scene where Clive Owen and Benicio Del Toro fight outside the car for the same price.

This movie has a lot of violence and blood- but every ounce of violence in it is 100% worth it.

GO AND SEE THIS MOVIE!

4 Comments:

  • Okay, a simple question: why was the violence %100 worth it?

    By Blogger William Luse, at 6:06 PM  

  • I'll have to give Sin City a chance then.

    BTW, you look freakin' great in your picture there. : )

    By Blogger ..., at 8:36 PM  

  • What I meant by "the violence was 100% worth it" was simply this:

    Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2 as well as Sin City were such fantastic movies because of the fact that the directors didn't feel the need to "cheese it up". They took the story and didn't put in all kinds of CGI's and a cheesy storyline that forces the film to pretend to be for adults and kids.

    Now, granted, Tarantino and Rodriguez both are best known for their graphic depictions of violence- so much so that True Romance had to be cut and edited and cut and edited to "tone it down" for an R rating by the MPAA. But that is what makes it great in my opinion- the fact that these guys are not afraid to do what they want to do.

    Besides, I don't think that I would have enjoyed the movie half as much if I wasn't jumping up and saying "OH! My GOD!" or "UGH!! That was GROSS!!" It was the shock value, I suppose, that made the movie.

    And I'm glad that I went into the theater with no prior knowledge of the comic book.I didn't know what to expect, and I was able to make my own decision based on the film and not on what I was expecting the film to be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 AM  

  • Hate to break it to you all, but this movie is a piece of crap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home