Critic's Corner

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

La passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928)

What an absolutely amazing performance. I have to say I wasn't too thrilled about it being silent at first- but it was a very very dramatic movie.

Falconetti portrays such intensity in her eyes and the viewer is on the end of his seat from beginning to end. ( I even got my SISTER to watch a little of it- and that's saying a lot!) To know that Joan of Arc's martyrdom did not consist of a simple burning at the stake, to see the villagers crying for her and the clergymen and authorities dealing with the uprising of a nation; it ripped out my heart.

Even though there was clearly more dialogue going on than was translated onto the cards, it seemed that the dialogue was somehow understood. I have seen one or 2 silent films before, but nothing like this.

The copy that I have is not a Criterion Collection DVD. It is released by a company in China named Boying, but the transfer still did exceedingly well, considering. (Does Criterion do area 2 recordings?)

Regardless, the most incredible film I have seen in a VERY long time.

3 Comments:

  • I found the Criterion DVD at Blockbuster of all places, used for 10 bucks. Who would've thought? I can't wait to watch it :)

    By Blogger Chris, at 4:39 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Persona, at 1:45 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Persona, at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home