Critic's Corner

Monday, November 15, 2004

Traffic

Meh... This movie was really just okay. It was Way of the Gun meets Goodfellas meets I don't know. Steven Soderberg is not one of my favorites; his movies tend to run slow and long and seem far too pretentious for my tastes.

Erika Christensen and Topher Grace were the best ones in the movie. Let me rephrase- Christensen was incredible. Playing the baked- out daughter of the head bureaucrat in DC (famous for his stance on the war on drugs), she was incredibly convincing. She is definitely one to watch- an up-and-comer. I hope she doesn't find herself cast in crap as so many good actresses do. A word of advice for her: let Natalie Portman's movie career be your guide. The girl has yet to make a bad decision- even Star Wars, as a necessary evil, was good for her career.

I did enjoy Catherine Zeta Jones's character and the storyline she folowed. I can't quite decide if Soderberg is a fan of PTA's and that's why he cast Cheadle and Guzman or if Debra Zane is just an incredible Casting Director. (I would wager the latter- she also cast American Beauty, The Last Seduction, and Pleasantville.)

Anyway- it was a long movie, but worth a sit through at least once. This is the second time I have seen it, and I thought it was pretty good.

1 Comments:

  • I’ve been a bit hesitant to see Traffic. Not for any good reason, so I think I’ll check it out now.

    What about Ju On?
    I’m curious to know what you thought of this movie, compared to the American remake The Grudge?

    By Blogger Sequoya, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home