Critic's Corner

Monday, October 25, 2004

Supersize Me

Supersize Me was a very enlightening, interesting documentary about a man who goes on a 30 day McDonald's diet.

Morgan Spurlock has a girlfriend who is a Vegan chef, so he's used to eating very healthy food and taking multi-vitamins. Then he spends 30 days eating McDonalds to figure out what health risks he is taking by going on a high-fat binge.

Day 3, he orders a double quarter pounder with cheese super sized value meal and throws it up 15 minutes later.

It is a most interesting take on the US's obsession with fast food and with the obesity epidemic in America. I found myself going "How can he EAT that??" more than once.

Now, I enjoy going to McDonalds as much as the next person. Okay, so I like to go when I'm drunk. Who cares? I think it's a common fact that it's not good for you, but it sure makes you feel good, as Morgan pointed out. You feel lethargic until you eat again. I would like to know what kind of opiates are in McDonald's food and whether or not it's proven to be addictive.

In the movie, they DO have a graphic surgical procedure set to music, and if you can watch that sort of thing, it's very funny. Anyway- I would definitely recommend this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home