Critic's Corner

Sunday, October 10, 2004

New Jack City & Dangerous Minds

New Jack City
So Friday after work, I went to Blockbuster Video, and this guy working on "the floor" (helping customers find what they're looking for) walked up to me.
"Are you finding everything you're looking for?"
I said "No... Where is New Jack City? Is it in Drama, or is it in Action?"
"What?"
"New Jack City"
"Is that a movie?"
"Uhhh.. yes?"
"I'm going to have to look in the computer, because I've never heard of it."
He walked over to the computer and looked it up.
"Well, we don't have it, but it IS a movie"
No shit, man. I simply replied with "Thanks. It's good to know I haven't been hallucinating for the last 13 years."

So I went down to this mom and pop store down the road from me and filled out an application, went through the whole "This is how long you rent for... the adult section is over there..." blah blah blah... They had it.

Don't believe the hype. The best thing about it was seeing Wesley Snipes dancing like it was 1988 again. Ice T couldn't act anymore in NJC than he can now. Judd Nelson was in the movie simply to get brat packers to watch a heavily steered black movie. Chris Rock played a junkie- going through withdrawl symptoms, complete with the melodramatic "Please don't make me smoke this crack... pleasepleaseplease... okay." *insert eye roll here*

Dangerous Minds
Michelle Pfeiffer plays an ex-marine (ha!) trying to teach inner-city kids to read poetry. I really tried to like this movie, to no avail. Overall, the movie lacked substance. I should have known- it was a Bruckheimer production. My eyes rolled to high heaven when the white girl said in her ghetto voice "You's our tambourine man." Give me a break.

Sorry, readers. Bad news for movies this weekend. I have an exam tomorrow, so maybe I'll update Tuesday.

Until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home