Critic's Corner

Friday, October 08, 2004

Spellbound

It's 1999. Eight students are on the wire. Stress levels are high. These students are about to embark on a journey that could change their life forever. They've studied until they can't see the pages anymore.

And every one of them are under the age of 14.

It's not the PSAT's. It's the National Spelling Bee.

This documentary follows the path that these 8 pre-teens travel to get to the National Spelling Bee Championships in Washington DC.

One set of parents drill, drill, drill their son; another set just sits by and lets their daughter go at her own pace; still another set is clueless... "There's a national spelling bee?"

These kids are studying words that they will never even SEE again, let alone USE. I know. I made it to the State finals in 1984. I remember staying up nights, studying words like pseudosyllogism and sphygmomanometer.

But the movie isn't boring like reading the dictionary. One finds themself attatching feelings to the children, even cheering them on. Not to mention, failing at every attempt to spell the words that these kids are spelling without effort. Eventually, the competition heats up and words like tryst and darjeeling are eliminating the kids one by one.

Not only are these kids asking for the definitions of the words, but they are asking for the origin of the words to see if that will give them a better idea how to spell them. In the end, one actually wants to cry for the eliminated ones and clap for the ones who spell the words correctly.

Myself? I'm sitting on the couch, watching, and thinking to myself, "I don't remember studying that much."

I guess that's why I only made it to state.

1 Comments:

  • I've seen that one!...I think.
    I actually watch Spelling Bee's when they're on ESPN. The last one, me and my 17 year old brother, who is a complete jock, stayed glued to that tv. It was tense just watching!

    By Blogger ..., at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home