Critic's Corner

Monday, October 18, 2004

Saved!

Jena Malone, Macaulay Culkin, Mandy Moore, Patrick Fugit, Heather Matarazzo, and Mary Louise Parker star in a movie about kids that attend a Christian school and the most popular kids are the ones who claim to love Jesus the most.

Jena Malone finds out in the beginning of the movie that her boyfriend is gay, and gets a visit from Jesus himself, telling her to "save" him by not "saving" herself. She becomes pregnant and is ostracized by all of her friends. She finds solace in the one heathen who attends the school- which is the best role in the script. Imagine, a Christian school full of nutjobs and holy rollers that see an unsaved girl speaking in tongues and "feel the power of the Holy Spirit" while the heathen screams out in a foreign language "I have a hot pussy!!"

Unfortunately, even Donnie Darko's girlfriend wasn't enough to "save" this movie. It seems Hollywood cannot get enough of these teen-pop sensations (Jessica Simpson, Brittney Spears, Mandy Moore, Hillary Duff) and believe that there is a redeeming quality to giving these girls parts that could be much better suited for someone who actually has talent. Although, arguably, Moore has more talent than the other 3, it still falls far short of someone who might actually bring a redeeming quality to the film.

The film itself had a nostalgic quality to it. I even turned to my sister more than once and said "Oh, man! Do you remember being that deluded??" Because I do. I remember when I thought that my only mission in life was to "save" the heathens. I remember jumping around with my hands in the air and getting excited about going to youth prayer meetings. It was great to see someone focus on the kids who are like I once was...

...not great enough, though.


1 Comments:

  • Saved-I saw that in the theatres. It has a couple of funny/cute scenes. And it was better than the rest of of the teen movies out there. But it got sooo hopeless at the end. It was like they HAD to pair of every character and give them a love interest. I think they tried to hard on that bit.

    But yes, I grew up in that fine mess as well. The chapels every wednesday at school. *shivers*
    Hey, I still attend Bible Study (although it's mostly 20-somethings)
    But it was only an 'ok' movie. Very true.

    By Blogger ..., at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home