Critic's Corner

Monday, October 18, 2004

13 Going on 30 & Jersey Girl

I'm back, readers! I took a week off for vacation and was so incredibly busy that I haven't had time to watch any movies. There will be 2 entries today- because I believe that the other movie I'm reviewing deserves it's own review.

I know there was another movie that I rented but damned if I can remember what it was...

13 Going on 30 was an okay movie. Nothing I would set up any roadblocks to see. I saw many many parallel's to Tom Hanks's Big- from the limo drive (ejector seat!!) to the fancy party- Tom Hanks spits caviar all over/Jennifer Garner makes an ass of herself dancing to "Thriller".

I felt that it could have used a bit more substance. The casting was done well- the little girl looked like Garner. And during the Thriller scene I could have sworn that was Hal Sparks. Damn that it wasn't- I really like him and thought he would have done a super job.

Garner was convincing as a 13 year old trapped in a 30 year old's body... BUT... I think it would have been better if we could have seen what she was really like as a 30 year old before the whole wish incident instead of just being shown the outcomes. Let Garner play the bitch for a little bit! I really wanted to see her as a tough business woman as opposed to a 13 year old who came up with a "brilliant" idea. (Which, by the way, would NEVER sell...)

Jersey Girl was another one I wouldn't write home about. It was good- FAR from Kevin Smith's best, but it was okay. Affleck has lost something in the last few years from Chasing Amy/ Good Will Hunting to today. The innocence of a struggling actor to the arrogance of a blockbuster star should not be a factor in talent, but sadly it is. Then again, I can't say Kevin Smith isn't following in the same footsteps. Who would have thought 10 years ago that Kevin Smith would become a household name?

I have to start out by saying that I was disappointed to see a sexy man like Jason Lee as a bald business man... that may sound superficial, but so was the movie. The best part about the movie was the Sweeney Todd performance (even with the last-minute-dad-saves-the-day WELL overdone routine...) George Carlin was just okay in this movie, and it lacked the sinister humor and perversion we are so used to with Smith's films.

However... it did include a beautiful new Aimee Mann song, so that was cool. Interestingly enough- Kevin Smith had said something before about how he thought Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia was pretentious (or something along those lines.) Yet, he used the same artist on his soundtrack. It's nice to see that just because he didn't like the movie, (to each his own- I thought it was brilliant) he can still appreciate great music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home