Critic's Corner

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

OSCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oscar night to me is like Super Bowl Sunday to most. It's the only day I refuse to work. It's a national holiday, IMO.

Here's the nods: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nominees.html

Commentary on the Nods:

Alan Alda for BSA in The Aviator? He was IN that movie? I don't even remember him. Seriously- his part was small, and his acting was good, but are you HONESTLY trying to sell me on the thought that there were no better noms for BSActor? I just don't get it.

And Jamie Foxx for BOTH BA and BSA. Ray and Collateral. Hmm.... He won't win BSA, (Thomas Hayden Church will) but are they trying to tell us he's gonna win something?

And Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine! She won't win either.

Natalie Portman for Closer (She was fantastic in that movie) is up against Cate Blanchette for BSA.

Before Sunset for Best Adapted Screenplay. Awwww. (Sideways or Million Dollar Baby will get it, but it's a nice gesture. )

My predictions:
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
Best Actress: Annette Benning vs Hilary Swank (WHOA! Flashback to 2000!!) I say Swank. I did say Bening, but I changed my mind.
Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Hayden Church (I can't believe Paul Giamatti didn't get nominated.)
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchette (I know people are wanting Virginia Madsen, but Thomas Hayden Church is the shoo- in, we need a long shot winner this year. And I still don't think Madsen deserves it.)
Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby
Best Director: Martin Scorcese, The Aviator
Best Adapted Screenplay: Sideways
Best Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Charlie Kauffman)

There you go. That's what I predict.

By the way- Paul Giamatti gets robbed so much, he's been named America's Most Dangerous Person to live near.

2 Comments:

  • I desperately need to watch more of these movies, preferably before Oscar time.

    I love that Catalina Sandino Moreno was nominated for best actress though...

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:04 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Persona, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home