Critic's Corner

Friday, September 02, 2005

The Shawshank Redemption

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of watching The Shawshank Redemption once again. I haven't actually seen the movie in a few years, and every time it's on television, I refuse to watch it because of the editing and commercials.

What a beautiful piece of art this film is. Stephen King's story, fantastic ensemble and acting by every cast member, and gorgeous cinematography all blend together to make this a trifecta of perfection.

I have often said that this movie is in the top 10 of my most favorite movies, and even after having watched some masterpieces throughout the past year and a half, I cannot deny that this movie still holds a place in my heart. For me, it's difficult to sit down and watch the film without devoting an entire night to it. From the point that Morgan Freeman opens up the box to the very end, the tears flow and flow. It brings me to the point where I want nothing more than just to crawl into bed and sleep. Tim Robbins is so beautiful, and I cheer every time I see him in the rain.

Everything about this film is wonderful, from the soundtrack (which sounds distinctly like American Beauty's score), to the twist and turns of the plot, from the beginning to the very end. I believe that it is one of the best movies made in the 1990's.

1 Comments:

  • Don't know if you've read the book (Different Seasons), but all the stories are really great, 3 of the 4 which were made into movies... The Body [Stand By Me], Apt Pupil, and (Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank Redemption. All the stories are at least comparable to the movies, which is saying a lot.

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home