Critic's Corner

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Transamerica

Felicity Huffman did a wonderful job in this film. It's a story about a woman who travels across the country with her son who doesn't know that she's his biological father.

It's a really good movie, not pretentious or in-your face like so many other Oscar contenders of last year. Now, granted, I have not seen Walk the Line or The Constant Gardener or Hustle and Flow yet, but I sincerely appreciate the subtlety of the film. I'm not saying that there was no message of tolerance within the film, but it was a good story to watch.

As far as Felicity Huffman's acting is concerned, I was very impressed. Although there weren't actually times when I had to remind myself that she was a woman, had she been a no-name actress to me, I may have. Since I am such a Magnolia fan, of course I knew who she was- and to be honest, I've known who she was since The Spanish Prisoner. But I can see someone like my mother (who has no earthly clue who Huffman is) asking me who she is and is there really a man in the world named "Felicity."

The costuming in the film was very well done, making certain that even though the character had plastic surgery done to hide the Adam's Apple, she was certainly aware of the fact that this area is a sore spot for transgenders.

The film itself kind of reminds me of Todo Sobre mi Madre, a film about a young boy who dies and his mother who goes to Barcelona to track down the boy's father. As far as transgender goes, the film was probably one of the best I've seen since M Butterfly. There have been others, like The Crying Game and Better Than Chocolate, but this was one of the better ones.

Although the ending was kind of flat, at least it wasn't "Hollywood," even though that was the setting. Overall, the film is definitely worth the watching and I would recommend it as a good alternative to an in-your-face politically charged film any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home