Critic's Corner

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

The Corpse Bride is Tim Burton's newest foray into stop motion animation and is nothing to write home about. It's really just okay. It ends rather abruptly and doesn't really deliver the way that "Nightmare Before Christmas" does. Nightmare has those great contagious songs which everyone knows and you can watch it over and over and sing along: "What's This?"

Corpse Bride's music was almost a regurgitation of Nightmare's with different lyrics. Although the voices were kinda cute- Tracy Ullman always does a good job, and Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Johnny Depp were good- the best by far was Enn Reitel's (in a salute to Peter Lorre) voice as the maggot. However, the script lacked the spice and spark of Nightmare, so the actors didn't have a whole hell of a lot to work with to start.

Even though it was not as great as I had expected it to be, I would still recommend it if for nothing more than to see what movie will probably contend for an animation Oscar. (I'm praying for Were-Rabbit to win, but haven't seen it yet, so the jury's still out on that one.)

1 Comments:

  • The criticism I've heard about this movie, and of Tim Burton films in general, is that it's pretty on the outside, but cold and empty on the inside. It's why I avoid Tim Burton movies, with a couple of exceptions.
    I also think I'm the only person on the planet that did not like Nightmare Before Christmas; I didn't like the music, and it was the film that started my Burton disenchantment. I thought it was dispassionate and (for a lack of a better word) all flash with no substance.
    I'm still sorry I missed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's one of my favorite books, and I like Johnny Depp.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home